Home » How to Apply » Financial Support

Financial Support

It is possible that before you are able to attend College, you may need help in overcoming financial difficulties that make it hard to afford the equipment or uniform for your course or you may have childcare or travel issues to deal with.

The Safeguarding & Student Welfare Services team can advise you about various grants, awards and other available funding. It's always best to make these applications as early as possible, so that you have everything you need when you start your course.

College Support Scheme (CSS)

The College has an allocation of money each year. These funds exist to help people attend College who may have difficulties with the costs of learning. Funds are limited and awards are made on the basis of relative financial need therefore applications are means tested.

If you have any financial difficulties, you may be able to apply for the College Support Scheme. Please click the following link to visit the applications page: CSS Applications

The College has a Travel Support Scheme which will provide students with termly bus passes or half termly train passes. You can apply for the scheme if you:

  • are 16-18 years old.
  • are enrolled on a full-time course at Aylesbury College.
  • live more than 3 miles away from Aylesbury College.
  • have a household income less than £30,810.

This support is dependent on 100% attendance by the student. For more details, please contact the Safeguarding & Student Welfare Services Team.


The College Support Scheme can be used to support the costs of childcare for eligible full time 19+ students whilst they are in College.

Childcare costs can be paid for registered childcare in the College Day Nursery or another Ofsted registered childcare provided by an external provider will be considered.

Childcare for the 16-18 year-old group of young parents is paid by the 'Care to Learn' funding initiative. For further information on financial assistance to support your learning, please visit www.direct.gov.uk/caretolearn

Childcare funding is up to £160 per child per week, which is enough to cover full-time childcare in this area. Students who wish to find out more about assistance with their childcare costs should be directed to any member of the Safeguarding & Student Welfare Services Team, or they can call 01296 588599.

Professional and Career Development Loans (PCDL)

Professional and Career Development Loans are bank loans that can be used to help pay for work related learning. You can borrow between £300 and £10,000 to help support the cost of up to two years of learning (or three years if it includes one year's relevant unpaid practical work).

The Skills Funding Agency will pay the interest on the loan while you are learning and for one month afterwards. The loan can be used to pay course fees or other costs such as travel and living expenses. You can also use the loan to supplement other forms of support such as grants or bursaries. The Professional and Career Development Loan is a commercial loan product, and as such should only be considered as an option once all other student funding options have been investigated. For further information on financial assistance to support your learning, please visit www.direct.gov.uk/adultlearning or contact Careers Advice on 0800 100 900

Higher Education Funding

You can apply now for student finance for 2012/13 courses.
To cover the costs of studying you can apply for:

  • a Tuition Fee Loan to cover your tuition fees in full
  • a Maintenance Loan for living costs like rent (full-time students only)
  • a Maintenance Grant if your household income is less than £42,600 (full-time students only)
  • extra financial help if you have a disability or children or adults depending on you

Full-time students have to pay back any loans plus interest once you leave your course and start earning more than £21,000 a year. Part-time students who earn over £21,000 a year have to start paying back their loans after four years even if their course hasn't finished.

You don't have to pay back grants, scholarships or bursaries.
You can apply online now for 2012/13 student finance at www.studentfinance.direct.gov.uk

Studying While on Benefit

Job Seekers Allowance/Employment Support Allowance
Fees can be waived, as long as you provide evidence that you are receiving one of the following benefits:

  • Job Seekers Allowance .
  • Employment Support Allowance (work related group).

Please check with you local job centre to ensure that your Job Seekers Allowance and Employment Support Allowance are not affected by your attendance at your college.

Income Support
Students who are studying on a full-time course are not entitled to claim benefits; however, there are some exceptions for lone parents, students who have disabilities or those who need housing benefit.

You can make a claim for income support by telephone or textphone an adviser at the contact centre will go through the application with you and fill in the form. You will not have to fill in any forms yourself.
Lines are open Monday to Friday, from 8.00 am to 6.00 pm.
Telephone: 0800 055 6688
Textphone: 0800 023 4888

Council Tax & Housing Benefit
If you are a student that is in receipt of income support you may be entitled to maximum housing benefit.

If you are under 18, you do not have to pay council tax. If you are over 18 you may be eligible for Council Tax discount.

For further information contact your local Council.

Non EU Residents

All students from the European Union are entitled to exactly the same benefits as students from the UK. They pay the same fees and are entitled to the same financial assistance.

Students from countries which are not members of the European Union will be asked to pay a different fee from EU students because their fees are not subsidised by the UK Government.
For further information, please contact Safeguarding & Student Welfare Services on 01296 588599.

  1. Home
  2. Student Portal
  3. Staff Portal
  4. Vacancies
  5. Track Application
  6. Prospectus
Read our blog